Monday, July 9, 2007

When I was a kid, my mom and I went on lots of great road trips. I haven't been on one in a long time, but the idea that in a few days I'll be trekking towards the mountains with my Honda loaded up with art supplies and tank tops and granola bars has me thrilled. Of course, this trip has a destination--my job at Omega. It's not actually the trip I've always envisioned myself going on. For some reason, since I was a kid, I've always thought that at this age I would take off for the west on some sort of Kerouacian spiritual pilgrimage. I am still compelled to do this. No, more than that. I have to do it. I had a dream last night I was in my car and had salvaged all of my mom's old travel maps from her last garage sale... the ones we had sat down together and highlighted our routes on. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still here. I wonder why it's taken me so long to let go of things I don't really even care about. I wonder if this summer will be the final step.