Friday, November 30, 2007

Thanksgiving was strange. The Professor ended up in the hospital with a blot clot. I've visited a few times, but probably not enough. Then again, I don't think I've ever written about the Professor on this blog. I will do so in the future.

The rest of the weekend I spent with my mom, mostly getting drunk in public. Actually, to tell you the truth, that's pretty much all I've done for the past few weeks. I've been going through a pretty major transition, in terms of my relationship, my life and my mental health. Tuesday I spent bar hopping on campus, which I've never done before. I ended up making out with some gorgeous girl in a bathroom for half an hour. Jon eventually carried me home after I apparently cussed out the guy at McDonalds because they weren't taking debit cards. For some reason, I get insane cravings for McDonalds cheeseburgers when I'm drunk. I don't even eat beef.

Tonight I took Makenna, my 13 year old art student, to get hot chocolate and go ice skating at Tapawingo park. It was really lovely. For the first time in a while, I felt really, really content.

My creative drive seems to be coming, maybe, out of it's slump. Today I was painting over with gesso (gesso is primer) an old canvas that had the remnants of a half-started, crappy attempt at forced creativity. I was having a hard time covering the sharpee and charcoal (it was a mixed media), but started to like the way the image sort of seeped through, ghost-like. Then I started sponging the gesso lightly over another painting that I wasn't too satisfied with. What was a fairly amatuerish painting was suddenly visually complex and very interesting. I got excited. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was going to create a good piece.

I'm trying to sublease my apartment. With the uncertainty of the building my studio's in, I should probably find a place where I can have my studio IN my house/apartment/wherever I end up. What I'd really like is a really large studio apartment or one bedroom where I can sort of have an office/studio/livingspace without them interferring with each other. And of course, I need hardwood floors. This may be a challenge to find. I may need to move to Indy. I don't really know. Blah.